Complete DHS Report for October 06, 2016
• Western Dubuque Biodiesel LLC agreed to pay $6 million October 4 to settle charges that the firm allegedly generated renewable identification numbers for renewable fuel that was produced using unapproved feedstocks. – U.S. Department of Justice
2. October 4, U.S. Department of Justice – (Iowa) United States takes action to address alleged renewable fuel standard violations by NGL Crude Logistics and Western Dubuque Biodiesel. The U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reached a $6 million settlement with Western Dubuque Biodiesel LLC October 4 to resolve alleged Renewable Fuel Standard program violations for generating renewable identification numbers (RINs) for renewable fuel that was produced using unapproved feedstocks and production processes. The EPA also filed a complaint against NGL Crude Logistics LLC for entering into a series of alleged transactions with Western Dubuque that resulted in approximately 36 million invalid RINs in 2011.
• Officials announced October 4 that Port Canaveral in Brevard County, Florida, would be closed to all ship traffic, including cruise ships, cargo ships, and commercial fishing boats beginning October 5 in anticipation of Hurricane Matthew. – Florida Today
11. October 4, Florida Today – (Florida) Port Canaveral closing to ships, business on Wednesday. The U.S. Coast Guard announced October 4 that Port Canaveral in Brevard County, Florida, would be closed to all ship traffic, including cruise ships and cargo ships, as well as recreational and commercial fishing boats beginning October 5 in anticipation of Hurricane Matthew. The Port Canaveral chief executive officer also issued an evacuation order for landslide operations affecting Jetty Park campers, marinas, and all Port businesses and tenants. Source: http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2016/10/04/port-canaveral-closing-ships-business-wednesday/91568292/
• Mississippi officials issued a water advisory for the Industrial Seaway and Bernard Bayou in Gulfport October 3 after approximately 500,000 gallons of raw sewage spilled from a damaged sewer line into nearby drains that flow into surrounding waterways. – WLOX 13 Biloxi
12. October 5, WLOX 13 Biloxi – (Mississippi) Ruptured pipe causes 500,000 gallons of raw sewage to spill in Gulfport. The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality issued a water advisory for the Industrial Seaway and Bernard Bayou in Gulfport October 3 after approximately 500,000 gallons of raw sewage spilled from a damaged 24-inch sewer line into nearby ditches and drains that flow into the surrounding waterways. Crews repaired the pipe and contained the leak. Source: http://www.wbrc.com/story/33317540/ruptured-pipe-causes-500000-gallons-of-raw-sewage-to-spill-in-gulfport
• The governor of South Carolina ordered a coastal evacuation October 4 and canceled classes at 27 school districts across the State until at least October 7 in advance of Hurricane Matthew. – WLTX 19 Columbia
16. October 4, WLTX 19 Columbia – (South Carolina) Gov. orders coast evacuation, declares state of emergency. The governor of South Carolina ordered a coastal evacuation October 4 and canceled classes at 27 school districts across the State until at least October 7 in advance of Hurricane Matthew, which expected to strike South Carolina October 7 – October 8. Source: http://www.wusa9.com/weather/forecast/gov-haley-orders-coast-evacuation-declares-state-of-emergency/329160994
Financial Services Sector
6. October 4, Milford Patch – (Connecticut; Massachusetts) Man previously arrested for a bank robbery in Milford pleads guilty to 3 others: Feds. A Rhode Island resident, dubbed the “Teardrop Bandit” pleaded guilty October 4 after he robbed two banks in Connecticut and one in Massachusetts between July and September 2015.
Information Technology Sector
18. October 4, SecurityWeek – (International) Google patches 78 vulnerabilities in Android. Google released patches resolving at least 78 security flaws in its Android operating system, including 11 elevation of privilege vulnerabilities in ServiceManager, Lock Settings Service, and Mediaserver, among other components, 3 denial-of-service (DoS) issues in Wi-Fi, GPS, and Mediaserver, as well as critical remote execution flaws in kernel ASN.1 decoder and kernel networking system, among other vulnerabilities. Google reported that the Qualcomm components were most affected by the security flaws.
19. October 4, Softpedia – (International) Hacked WordPress core file leveraged for hijacking a site’s web traffic. Sucuri security researchers discovered attackers were leveraging a WordPress core file responsible for managing the site’s page templates in order to insert malicious code and alter a compromised Website and redirect users to a malicious Webpage selling product keys for several Microsoft products at reduced prices. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/hacked-wordpress-core-file-leveraged-for-hijacking-a-site-s-web-traffic-508959.shtml
Nothing to report