Wednesday, December 26, 2012
• A former portfolio manager at CR Intrinsic Investors, a SAC Capital Management fund, was indicted on three counts related to a massive insider trading scheme involving tips from a doctor that brought the company $276 million in profits. – Reuters See item 3 below in the Banking and Finance Sector
• Firefighters responded to a fire at a hog confinement facility that killed 650 hogs southeast of Rock Valley, and are also investigating the death of 475 hogs at another nearby facility after someone tampered with the climate control system. – Associated Press
13. December 24, Associated Press – (Iowa) Fire kills 650 pigs in northwest Iowa. Firefighters responded to a fire at a hog confinement facility that killed 650 hogs southeast of Rock Valley, and are also investigating the death of 475 hogs at another nearby facility after someone tampered with the climate control system. Source: http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22881&Itemid=57
• Two firefighters were killed and two others were shot while attempting to put out a house fire in Webster, New York, December 24. The gunman was later found dead due to gunshot wounds. – USA Today; Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
24. December 24, USA Today; Rochester Democrat and Chronicle – (New York) 4 firefighters shot, 2 killed at Webster, N.Y., fire. Two firefighters were killed and two others were shot while attempting to put out a house fire in Webster, New York, December 24. The gunman was later found dead due to gunshot wounds. Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/24/webster-new-york-firefighter-shot/1788917/
• A gunman injured three State Troopers and killed three people at three different locations in Pennsylvania before police killed him in a shootout. – NBC News
25. December 21, NBC News – (Pennsylvania) Pennsylvania gunman kills woman in church, two other people before dying in shootout with police. A gunman injured three State Troopers and killed three people at three different locations in Pennsylvania before police killed him in a shootout. Source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/21/16069042-pennsylvania-gunman-kills-woman-in-church-two-other-people-before-dying-in-shootout-with-police?lite
Banking and Finance Sector
3. December 21, Reuters – (National) Ex-SAC fund manager indicted in insider trading scheme. A former portfolio manager at CR Intrinsic Investors, a SAC Capital Management fund, was indicted on three counts related to a massive insider trading scheme involving tips from a doctor that brought the company $276 million in profits. Source: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-12-21/business/sns-rt-us-saccapital-martomabre8bk0zz-20121221_1_cohen-and-martoma-insider-cr-intrinsic-investors
4. December 21, Santa Cruz Sentinel – (California) Federal charges filed against Scotts Valley businessmen accused of defrauding investors. Two investment advisers involved with Geringer, Luck, and Rode LLC were indicted by a federal grand jury in San Jose for allegedly receiving more than $60 million from investors and diverting half to themselves and companies in which they held an interest. Source: http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_22242685/federal-charges-filed-against-scotts-valley-businessmen-accused
5. December 21, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission – (National) SEC charges four penny stock purchasers with fraud. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission charged four individuals in a $17 million penny stocks scheme where they acquired stocks at below-market prices from firms by falsely stating that they intended to hold the shares as investments, when they in fact immediately re-sold them. Source: http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2012/2012-278.htm
Information Technology Sector
28. December 23, The Register – (International) Google to scan Chrome extensions, bans auto-install. Google announced that it would begin analyzing Web Store extensions for its Chrome browser and disabling automatic extension installation to protect users against malicious extensions. Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/23/google_bans_auto_install_chrome_extensions/
29. December 22, Softpedia – (International) Antivirus solutions still have problems in blocking fake AV, experts say. Researchers at Zscaler pointed out that most security programs are incapable of blocking scareware threats, despite the fake antivirus programs remaining effectively unchanged for years. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Antivirus-Solutions-Still-Have-Problems-in-Blocking-Fake-AV-Experts-Say-316953.shtml
For another story, see item 30 below in the Communications Sector
30. December 22, ZDNet – (National) Hacker, Verizon duel over customer record claims. Verizon assured the public their wireless systems were not hacked, but notified customers who could have been potentially impacted by a data breach, after a hacker claimed to have posted thousands of database entries from customers on the Web, exposing a Verizon vulnerability. Source: http://www.zdnet.com/hacker-verizon-duel-over-customer-record-claims-7000009151/
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report Contact Information
About the reports - The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a daily [Monday through Friday] summary of open-source published information concerning significant critical infrastructure issues. The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is archived for ten days on the Department of Homeland Security Web site: http://www.dhs.gov/IPDailyReport
Content and Suggestions: Send mail to email@example.com or contact the DHS Daily Report Team at (703)387-2314
Subscribe to the Distribution List: Visit the DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report and follow instructions to Get e-mail updates when this information changes.
Removal from Distribution List: Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report physical infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact the National Infrastructure
Coordinating Center at email@example.com or (202) 282-9201.
To report cyber infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact US-CERT at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their Web page at www.us-cert.go v.
Department of Homeland Security Disclaimer
The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a non-commercial publication intended to educate and inform personnel engaged in infrastructure protection. Further reproduction or redistribution is subject to original copyright restrictions. DHS provides no warranty of ownership of the copyright, or accuracy with respect to the original source material.