Monday, April 22, 2013
Complete DHS Daily Report for April 22, 2013
• Storms in the Midwest have caused hundreds of flight cancellations and flooding along with an evacuation of a hospital due to rising floodwaters. – CNN
5. April 19, CNN – (National) Hospital, homes evacuated amid flood threats in Illinois, elsewhere. Severe storms in the Midwest have caused hundreds of flight cancellations and flooding, with one Illinois hospital evacuating patients due to rising floodwaters. Various roads and highways have also been inundated by flash floods around Illinois, Indiana, and elsewhere creating dangerous travel conditions. Source: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/18/travel/weather/index.html
• A U.S. Senator’s office was evacuated and closed due to a suspicious letter delivered to the facility. – Detroit News
26. April 17, Detroit News – (Michigan) U.S. Senator’s office to remain closed after receiving suspicious mail. A U.S. Senator’s office was evacuated April 17 and is closed indefinitely due to a suspicious letter that was delivered to the facility. The staffer that found the piece of mail was sent to the hospital as a precaution and authorities are awaiting test results. Source: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130417/POLITICS03/304170427
• Authorities in Boston implemented a city-wide lockdown so law enforcement officials could search for a second suspect believed to be involved in the April 15 marathon bombings. – NBC News
35. April 19. NBC News – (Boston) Boston transit shut down, nearly 1 million sheltering in place amid terror hunt. Authorities implemented a city-wide lock down in Boston including the cancellation of all public school activities, the suspension of transportation services, and the closure of trial courthouses and offices to allow law enforcement officials to conduct a search for a second suspect believed to be involved in the April 15 marathon bombings. Source: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/19/17822687-boston-transit-shut-down-nearly-1-million-sheltering-in-place-amid-terror-hunt?lite
• Officials evacuated over 1,000 residents from the northern Illinois community of Marseilles after nine barges broke free from a tugboat and struck a levee. – Associated Press
38. April 19. Associated Press – (Illinois) More than 1,000 evacuated after barge hits levee. Officials have evacuated as many as 1,500 residents including those in a nursing home from the northern Illinois community of Marseilles after nine barges broke free from a tugboat and struck a levee. Source: http://www.wgem.com/story/22022204/more-than-1000-evacuated-after-barge-hits-levee
Banking and Finance Sector
2. April 18. SEC News – (Washington, D.C.) SEC charges Chicago-based investment adviser with defrauding CalPERS and other clients. The Securities and Exchange Commission charged the CEO of a Chicago-based investment advisory firm with lying about his investment holdings to attract institutional investors. The CEO agreed to be barred from the securities industry and pay several penalties. Source: http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2013/2013-64.htm?utm_source=feedly
3. April 18. ITN – (International) $15 million in counterfeit US bank notes seized in Peru. Peruvian police seized $15 million in counterfeit bank notes along with one million fake euros and ten million Peruvian soles in a law enforcement operation. Source: http://www.itn.co.uk/World/73953/-15-million-in-counterfeit-us-bank-notes-seized-in-peru
4. April 17. WWAY 3 Raleigh – (North Carolina) Wilmington attorney headed to prison for mortgage fraud. A Wilmington-based lawyer was sentenced April 17 to three years in prison for conspiracy to commit mail, wire, and bank fraud amongst other violations after he prepared HUD-1 settlement statements which falsified financing and down payment amounts, property contract price, and other items. The scheme led banks and lenders to issue loans to conspirators in the amount of approximately $15.8 million. Source: http://www.wwaytv3.com/2013/04/17/wilmington-attorney-headed-to-prison-for-mortgage-fraud&utm_source=feedly
Information Technology Sector
28. April 19, Softpedia – (International) OpGabon: Gabon Ministry of Justice, other government sites attacked by Anonymous. Members of a hacktivist group have disrupted a number of Web sites that belong to the government of Gabon by distributing DDoS attacks. A few participants attempted to utilize a web-based DDoS attack tool to send large amounts of packets in an effort to render the sites inoperable. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/OpGabon-Gabon-Ministry-of-Justice-Other-Government-Sites-Attacked-by-Anonymous-346887.shtml?
29. April 19, Softpedia – (International) Reddit disrupted by DDOS attack – 4/19/2013. Representatives from Reddit announced the site was the target of a DDoS attack that disrupted service and they are working to mitigate the incident. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Reddit-Disrupted-by-DDOS-Attack-4-19-2013-346850.shtml?
30. April 19, The H – (International) Facebook closes cross-site scripting holes. Facebook closed a number of cross-site scripting (XSS) holes that were discovered by a security firm after they determined the social media site was vulnerable to attack through their chat feature as well as their check-in and messenger for Windows components. Source: http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Facebook-closes-cross-site-scripting-holes-1845850.html
31. April 19, Softpedia – (International) Hackers deface Google Kyrgyzstan and Google Bosnia and Herzegovina. Two hackers have defaced Google Kyrgyzstan and Google Bosnia Herzegovina along with several of their .kg and .ba domains. By breaching the country’s domain registrar, cybercriminals can make it seem as though they have breached a large number of high-profile Web sites. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hackers-Deface-Google-Kyrgyzstan-and-Google-Bosnia-and-Herzegovina-346753.shtml?
32. April 19, Softpedia – (International) Websites of 8 US organizations hacked for OpUSA. A hacktivist group is taking credit for defacing 8 U.S. organizations’ Web sites as part of their campaign to go after establishments with ties to the government. Some of the sites have been restored while others were taken offline. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Websites-of-8-US-Organizations-Hacked-for-OpUSA-346698.shtml?
33. April 18, Softpedia – (International) Cybercriminals use fake TPG Telecom notifications to spread ZeuS variant. Kaspersky published a spam report and detailed an email campaign that utilizes the Australian telecom company TPG Telecom to distribute a variant of the ZeuS Trojan through an attachment. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Cybercriminals-Use-Fake-TPG-Telecom-Notifications-to-Spread-ZeuS-Variant-346510.shtml?
34. April 18, IDG News Service – (International) Russian malware mines bitcoins through botnet. Researchers from a security firm determined a Russian porn site is delivering the malware Fareit to mine victims’ bitcoins while attacking the computer and looking for vulnerabilities upon visiting a Web site. The malware has been circulating for at least 6 months and infects Windows computers. Source: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/041913-russian-malware-mines-bitcoins-through-268903.html?source=nww_rss&
Nothing to report
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report Contact Information
About the reports - The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a daily [Monday through Friday] summary of open-source published information concerning significant critical infrastructure issues. The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is archived for ten days on the Department of Homeland Security Web site: http://www.dhs.gov/IPDailyReport
Content and Suggestions: Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the DHS Daily Report Team at (703)387-2314
Subscribe to the Distribution List: Visit the DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report and follow instructions to Get e-mail updates when this information changes.
Removal from Distribution List: Send mail to email@example.com.
To report physical infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact the National Infrastructure
Coordinating Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 282-9201.
To report cyber infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact US-CERT at email@example.com or visit their Web page at www.us-cert.go v.
Department of Homeland Security Disclaimer
The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a non-commercial publication intended to educate and inform personnel engaged in infrastructure protection. Further reproduction or redistribution is subject to original copyright restrictions. DHS provides no warranty of ownership of the copyright, or accuracy with respect to the original source material.