Friday, December 28, 2012
• The number of Entergy customers in Arkansas with power outages breached 140,000 December 27. Crews estimated it could take up to one week to restore power to some areas. – Associated Press
1. December 27, Associated Press – (Arkansas) Entergy: More than 140K without power in Arkansas. The number of Entergy customers in Arkansas with power outages breached 140,000 December 27. Crews estimated it could take up to one week to restore power to some areas. Source: http://www.knoe.com/story/20431588/more-than-132000-still-without-power-in-arkansas
• Idaho’s Department of Finance filed a lawsuit against a former Boise-based mortgage broker, accusing him of defrauding investors of $24 million and violating securities regulations. – Associated Press See item 4 below in the Banking and Finance Sector
• A winter storm prompted the cancellation of over 400 flights around the country and caused traffic accidents and train delays throughout the Northeast. – CNN
8. December 27, CNN – (National) Winter storm strands travelers. A winter storm prompted the cancellation of over 400 flights around the country and caused traffic accidents and train delays throughout the Northeast. Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/27/travel/airline-delays/index.html
• Due to an increased demand in water combined with a decrease in precipitation, many development projects in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, have stopped or been altered. – Williamsport Sun-Gazette
18. December 26, Williamsport Sun-Gazette – (Pennsylvania) Water shortage stopping growth in Tioga County. Due to an increased demand in water combined with a decrease in precipitation, many development projects in Williamsport have stopped or been altered. Business owners are currently investigating alternative methods to obtain water; including drilling private wells and importing purchased water from other locations. Source: http://www.sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/587322.html
Banking and Finance Sector
4. December 27, Associated Press – (Idaho) Former Boise broker accused of $24 million investor fraud. Idaho’s Department of Finance filed a lawsuit against a former Boise-based mortgage broker, accusing him of defrauding investors of $24 million and violating securities regulations. Source: http://www.ktvb.com/news/Lawsuit-filed-against-former-Boise-mortgage-broker-184932281.html
5. December 27, Bloomberg News – (International) Analyst indicted on insider-trading charges tied to IBM. An Australian financial analyst was indicted by federal prosecutors in New York City for his alleged role in a scheme that traded on confidential information ahead of IBM’s acquisition of SPSS Inc. Source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-12-26/analyst-indicted-on-insider-trading-charges-tied-to-ibm
6. December 26, Yuma News Now – (Arizona; International) Extradited Romanian fugitive arraigned on mortgage fraud charges. A Romanian man was arraigned on charges of fraud and money laundering for his alleged role in a $6.5 million mortgage fraud scheme. Source: http://www.yumanewsnow.com/index.php/news/arizona/2062-extradited-romanian-fugitive-arraigned-on-mortgage-fraud-charges
Information Technology Sector
23. December 27, Softpedia – (International) Flaw in Facebook Camera for iOS allowed hackers to hijack accounts. Facebook released an updated 1.1.2 version of their Facebook Camera app for iOS to correct a vulnerability that allowed man-in-the-middle attacks by an attacker connected to the same WiFi network as the target. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Flaw-in-Facebook-Camera-for-iOS-Allowed-Hackers-to-Hijack-Accounts-317253.shtml
24. December 27, Softpedia – (International) Researcher finds XSS vulnerabilities in cPanel and WHM 11.34. A researcher released a video where he identified cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities in the popular cPanel and WHM 11.34 Web hosting control panel. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Researcher-Finds-XSS-Vulnerabilities-in-cPanel-WHM-11-34-Video-317356.shtml
25. December 26, DavisonNews.net – (North Carolina) WDAV-FM to replace antenna after lightning strike. WDAV 89.9 FM Davidson planned on purchasing a new antenna after a storm in August caused “catastrophic damage” to the original one, resulting in lost signals for some listeners. Source: http://davidsonnews.net/blog/2012/12/26/wdav-fm-to-replace-antenna-after-lightning-strike/
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report Contact Information
About the reports - The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a daily [Monday through Friday] summary of open-source published information concerning significant critical infrastructure issues. The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is archived for ten days on the Department of Homeland Security Web site: http://www.dhs.gov/IPDailyReport
Content and Suggestions: Send mail to email@example.com or contact the DHS Daily Report Team at (703)387-2314
Subscribe to the Distribution List: Visit the DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report and follow instructions to Get e-mail updates when this information changes.
Removal from Distribution List: Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report physical infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact the National Infrastructure
Coordinating Center at email@example.com or (202) 282-9201.
To report cyber infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact US-CERT at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their Web page at www.us-cert.go v.
Department of Homeland Security Disclaimer
The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a non-commercial publication intended to educate and inform personnel engaged in infrastructure protection. Further reproduction or redistribution is subject to original copyright restrictions. DHS provides no warranty of ownership of the copyright, or accuracy with respect to the original source material.