Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Complete DHS Daily Report for April 16, 2013
• The U.S. Food and Drug Administration seized about $1 million of inventory from V.I.P. Foods, Inc. in Ridgewood because the building was overrun with rodents. – WPIX 11 New York
18. April 13, WPIX 11 New York – (New York) Kosher food market infested with rats. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration seized about $1 million of inventory from V.I.P. Foods, Inc. in Ridgewood because the building was overrun with rodents. Source: http://pix11.com/2013/04/13/kosher-food-market-infested-with-rats/#axzz2QX1U9k9c
• Nearly 2 million gallons of partially-treated wastewater was sent to Lake Winnebago after heavy rains pounded the Fond du Lac area and overwhelmed the treatment plant. – Fond du Lac Reporter
20. April 11. Fond du Lac Reporter – (Wisconsin) Heavy rain forces bypass of Fond du Lac wastewater treatment plant. Nearly 2 million gallons of partially-treated wastewater was sent the water to Lake Winnebago after heavy rains pounded the Fond du Lac area and overwhelmed the treatment plant. Source: http://www.fdlreporter.com/article/20130412/FON0101/304120097/Heavy-rain-forces-bypass-Fond-du-Lac-wastewater-treatment-plant?nclick_check=1
• A growing series of brute force attacks against Wordpress blogs appears to be designed to compromise servers and recruit them into a large botnet that is already comprised of over 90,000 servers. – Krebs on Security See item 35 below in the Information Technology Sector
• More than 135 firefighters fought a three-alarm blaze for more than 2 hours which left 37 people injured. – New York Daily News
39. April 13, New York Daily News – (New York) 37 injured in South Bronx apartment fire including 1-year-old girl. An apartment fire set by a child playing with a lighter, led to heavy smoke filling nearly every floor of the south Bronx 27-story apartment building and left 37 people harmed. More than 135 firefighters fought the three-alarm blaze for more than 2 hours which resulted in multiple choking injuries. Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/south-bronx-fire-injures-16-including-child-article-1.1315732
Banking and Finance Sector
6. April 14, Chicago Tribune – (Illinois) Wilmette police working with feds on credit, debit card fraud case. Police in Wilmette began working on an investigation with the U.S. Secret Service after receiving several reports of out-of-State credit card fraud from residents who recently shopped at Treasure Island grocery stores. Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/ct-met-wilmette-credit-card-fraud-20130414,0,6075266.story
7. April 12, Amarillo Globe-News – (Texas) Woman pleads guilty to fraud in Pampa credit union scheme. The former loan officer for the Pampa Teachers Federal Credit Union pleaded guilty to stealing over $400,000 from the credit union by diverting payments, creating false paperwork, issuing loans in customers’ names, and other deceptive means. Source: http://amarillo.com/news/2013-04-12/woman-pleads-guilty-fraud-pampa-credit-union-scheme
8. April 12, New York Times – (International) Former Credit Suisse executive pleads guilty to inflating the value of mortgage bonds. A former Credit Suisse trader extradited from the U.K. pleaded guilty in federal court to fraudulently inflating the value of mortgage bonds during the 2008 financial crisis. Source: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/04/12/ex-credit-suisse-executive-pleads-guilty-to-inflating-value-of-mortgage-bonds/
Information Technology Sector
33. April 15, Softpedia – (International) Web hosting company Linode hacked, Seclist.org impacted. Linode, the Web hosting provider for Seclist.org, detected suspicious activity on its networks as attackers attempted to access the virtual private server (VPS) systems of Seclist.org. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Web-Hosting-Company-Linode-Hacked-Seclist-org-Impacted-345365.shtml
34. April 15, Threatpost – (International) Online poker rooms fraught with vulnerabilities. Findings published by two researchers found that many online poker Web sites whose clients rely on “skins” to design the gaming environment are vulnerable to attacks due to the Web site’s software updating infrastructure. Source: http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/online-poker-rooms-weighed-down-vulnerabilities-041213
35. April 12, Krebs on Security – (International) Brute force attacks build WordPress botnet. A growing series of brute force attacks against Wordpress blogs appears to be designed to compromise servers and recruit them into a large botnet that is already comprised of over 90,000 servers. Source: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/04/brute-force-attacks-build-wordpress-botnet/
36. April 12, Loveland Reporter-Herald – (Colorado) Weather knocks out emergency weather radio. An April 9 storm knocked an emergency weather radio transmitter out and damaged equipment in Greeley. The AM radio frequency will likely be down for two weeks until repairs are made. Source: http://www.reporterherald.com/news/ci_23012323/weather-knocks-out-emergency-weather-radio
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report Contact Information
About the reports - The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a daily [Monday through Friday] summary of open-source published information concerning significant critical infrastructure issues. The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is archived for ten days on the Department of Homeland Security Web site: http://www.dhs.gov/IPDailyReport
Content and Suggestions: Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the DHS Daily Report Team at (703)387-2314
Subscribe to the Distribution List: Visit the DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report and follow instructions to Get e-mail updates when this information changes.
Removal from Distribution List: Send mail to email@example.com.
To report physical infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact the National Infrastructure
Coordinating Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 282-9201.
To report cyber infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact US-CERT at email@example.com or visit their Web page at www.us-cert.go v.
Department of Homeland Security Disclaimer
The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a non-commercial publication intended to educate and inform personnel engaged in infrastructure protection. Further reproduction or redistribution is subject to original copyright restrictions. DHS provides no warranty of ownership of the copyright, or accuracy with respect to the original source material.