Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Complete DHS Daily Report for June 19, 2013
• A Long Island Railroad commuter train derailed in a tunnel under the East River in New York City, prompting authorities to evacuate roughly 1,000 commuters and limit service in both directions for over 5 hours. – Associated Press
13. June 18, Associated Press – (New York) Commuter train from NYC shakes, derails in tunnel. A Long Island Railroad commuter train from Penn Station to Hempstead, Long Island, derailed in a tunnel under the East River June 17 prompting authorities to evacuate roughly 1,000 commuters and limit service in both directions for over 5 hours. Source: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/06/17/2971062/10-car-commuter-train-from-nyc.html
• An estimated 1 million gallons of water was lost when a water main gave out and created a deep hole in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, disrupting water service to 60% of the city for at least 2 hours. – Fitchburg Telegram & Gazette
22. June 18, Fitchburg Telegram & Gazette – (Massachusetts) Water main break in Fitchburg disrupted service for most of city. An estimated 1 million gallons of water was lost June 17 after a 12-inch water main gave out and caused a 12-foot diameter, 6-foot deep hole along Federal Street in Fitchburg. Water gushed out at a rate of 6,000 gallons a minute and disrupted water service for 60% of the city for 2 hours, with a small number of homes having service restored after 6 hours. Source: http://www.telegram.com/article/20130618/NEWS/106189925/1116
• Firefighters reached 15 percent containment of California’s Carstens Fire after it burned through 1,600 acres in the Midpines area. Authorities evacuated over 150 homes and closed down several roads. – Los Angeles Times
25. June 17, Los Angeles Times – (California) 150 homes evacuated near Yosemite as wildfire burns 1,600 acres. Firefighters reached 15 percent containment of California’s Carstens Fire June 17 after burning through 1,600 acres in the Midpines area. Authorities evacuated over 150 homes and closed down several roads. Source: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-wildfire-evacuations-near-yosemite-20130617,0,4219593.story
• Federal authorities raided fourteen 7-Eleven stores in Virginia and New York and indicted several individuals on allegations of involvement in a human trafficking operation which involved identity theft and wire fraud. – Associated Press; Fox News
35. June 17, Associated Press; Fox News – (New York, Virginia) Federal authorities raid New York, Virginia 7-Eleven stores in human smuggling probe. Federal authorities raided fourteen 7-Eleven stores and indicted several individuals on allegations of involvement in a human trafficking operation which involved conspiracy to commit wire fraud, identity theft, and concealing and harboring dozens of illegal Pakistani immigrants. Federal authorities were also looking into 30 other 7-Eleven franchise stores across the country for similar smuggling infractions. Source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/17/ny-va-7-eleven-stores-raided-as-part-us-investigation-into-human-smuggling/
Banking and Finance Sector
7. June 18, The Register – (International) Robbing a bank? Carberp toolkit now available for just $5k. The source code for the Carberp banking trojan was found for sale on underground forums for $5,000, the first time that the full toolkit has been made available. Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/18/carberp_trojan_source_code_sale/
8. June 17, Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel – (California; Florida) ATM skimming suspect arrested in California. A Romanian national was arrested in California for allegedly being a member of a Romanian ATM skimming ring that targeted SunTrust ATMs across Florida. Source: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-atm-skimming-suspect-arrest-20130617,0,4006941.story
9. June 17, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission – (Texas) SEC charges two executives in Ponzi scheme at Dallas-based medical insurance company. Two executives at Dallas-based Global Corporate Alliance were charged with running a $10 million Ponzi scheme through their company by soliciting investments based on misrepresentations and then paying earlier investors with later investor funds. Source: https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2013/2013-113.htm
10. June 17, Associated Press – (Hawaii; California) Man gets 20 years for Waikiki gas station scheme. A man extradited from California was sentenced for his role in installing skimmers at gas stations in Waikiki along with an accomplice. The two men are members of an Armenian organized crime group and faced similar charges in California. Source: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2013/06/17/3072274/sentencing-in-waikiki-gas-station.html
For additional stories, see items 29 and 35
Information Technology Sector
29. June 18, Softpedia – (International) Study: 20% of the 50 most popular WordPress plugins are vulnerable to cyberattacks. A report by Checkmarx found that 20 per cent of the 50 most popular plugins for WordPress are vulnerable to Web attacks such as SQL injections, and that 7 out of the 10 most popular e-commerce plugins contain vulnerabilities, among other findings. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Study-20-of-the-50-Most-Popular-WordPress-Plugins-Are-Vulnerable-to-Cyberattacks-361809.shtml
30. June 17, The H – (International) Critical vulnerability in Blackberry 10 OS. BlackBerry advised users of a critical permissions vulnerability in versions of its mobile operating system (OS) prior to version 10.0.10.648. Source: http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Critical-vulnerability-in-Blackberry-10-OS-1891338.html
Nothing to report
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report Contact Information
About the reports - The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a daily [Monday through Friday] summary of open-source published information concerning significant critical infrastructure issues. The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is archived for ten days on the Department of Homeland Security Web site: http://www.dhs.gov/IPDailyReport
Content and Suggestions: Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the DHS Daily Report Team at (703)387-2314
Subscribe to the Distribution List: Visit the DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report and follow instructions to Get e-mail updates when this information changes.
Removal from Distribution List: Send mail to email@example.com.
To report physical infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact the National Infrastructure
Coordinating Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 282-9201.
To report cyber infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact US-CERT at email@example.com or visit their Web page at www.us-cert.go v.
Department of Homeland Security Disclaimer
The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a non-commercial publication intended to educate and inform personnel engaged in infrastructure protection. Further reproduction or redistribution is subject to original copyright restrictions. DHS provides no warranty of ownership of the copyright, or accuracy with respect to the original source material.