Monday, November 2, 2015
Complete DHS Report for November 2, 2015
• Authorities are searching for suspects who allegedly stole between $8 million and $15 million nationwide in a credit card theft ring that took credit card numbers through skimmers placed on gas stations pumps. – Coeur d’Alene Press
1. October 30, Coeur d’Alene Press – (National) Skimming at the pump. Authorities are searching for suspects who allegedly stole between $8 million and $15 million nationwide in a credit card theft ring that took credit card numbers through skimmers placed on gas stations pumps. Police in Post Falls, Idaho, found two devices on pumps at area gas stations that have been traced to a significant number of credit card fraud cases. Source: http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_983fb429-1ef1-539c-9ca5-6887bcb75fdf.html
• Charges were revealed October 29 alleging that 7 defendants conspired to defraud several victims by stealing personal information to create phantom clients for litigation against BP following the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill. – Mississippi Press
2. October 29, Mississippi Press – (National) Pascagoula woman among seven indicted in massive federal oil spill fraud case. Federal authorities unsealed a September 15 indictment October 29 alleging that 7 defendants conspired to defraud several victims by taking personal information, including Social Security numbers, from various sources to create phantom clients for litigation against BP following the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The group submitted approximately 44,000 names as plaintiffs seeking over $2 billion in claims from the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Trust disaster relief program. Source: http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-news/2015/10/pascagoula_woman_among_seven_i.html
• A Dynamic International Airways plane caught fire October 29 leaving 17 people injured and prompting 43 flights to be cancelled and 219 flights to be delayed at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida. – CNN
4. October 30, CNN – (Florida) Plane catches fire on runway at Fort Lauderdale airport. Forty-three flights were cancelled and 219 flights were delayed at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida October 29 after a Dynamic International Airways plane begin leaking fuel and caught fire, causing 17 people to be transported to area hospital with injuries. The airport was temporarily closed while passengers were evacuated and the incident was cleared.
• Warner Chilcott US Sales LLC agreed to plead guilty October 29 and pay $125 million to resolve charges that the company illegally marketed 7 drugs, paid kickbacks to doctors, and submitted false claims to government health care programs. – Reuters
10. October 29, Reuters – (International) Allergen unit to plead guilty to health care fraud, pay $125 mln. The U.S. Department of Justice announced October 29 that Warner Chilcott US Sales LLC, part of Allergen Plc, agreed to plead guilty and pay $125 million to resolve U.S. charges that the company illegally marketed 7 drugs, paid kickbacks to doctors to persuade them to prescribe the drugs, and submitted false claims to government health care programs.
Financial Services Sector
3. October 29, Somerville Courier News – (New Jersey) Hillsborough resident admits to $400,000 bank fraud. Officials reported that a man who owned Kelmar Construction Co., pleaded guilty to 2 counts of bank fraud before a Federal court in Newark, New Jersey, October 29 for using his construction company to sell properties to straw buyers and create phony loan documents, which he used to fraudulently obtain a $400,500 loan on a property in Irvington in 2007.
For additional stories, see item 1 above in Top Stories and item 17 below from the Commercial Facilities Sector
17. October 28, Lincoln Journal Star – (Nebraska; Iowa) Skimming devices found at 6 Nebraska stores, Casey’s says. Ankeny, Iowa-based Casey’s General Stores reported October 28 that skimming devices were found at 6 of its convenience stores located in Nebraska and 1 in Iowa prompting the company to check nearly 1,900 other locations for suspicious devices. Shoppers who used a credit or debit card at the Nebraska stores between October 2 and October 10 and consumers who shopped between October 15 and October 21 at the company’s Iowa location were alerted of the incident. Source: http://journalstar.com/business/local/skimming-devices-found-at-nebraska-stores-casey-s-says/article_6bbe6bca-e025-56a0-b7bf-cc87545fbed7.html
Information Technology Sector
15. October 29, Securityweek – (International) New types of reflection DDoS attacks spotted. Akamai’s Security Intelligence Response Team released a new threat advisory detailing 3 new types of reflection distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks abusing the remote procedure call (RPC) portmap service with attacks exceeding 100 Gbps; Network Basic Input/Output System (NetBIOS) name servers with the largest attack peaking at 15.7 Gbps; and Sentinel license servers with peak bandwidth attacks of 11.7 Gbps. Source: http://www.securityweek.com/new-types-reflection-ddos-attacks-spotted
Nothing to report