Friday, June 14, 2013
Complete DHS Daily Report for June 14, 2013
• Crews worked to restore power to 34,078 ComEd customers in the Chicago region after severe thunderstorms brought strong winds and heavy rain. – Chicago Tribune
1. June 13, Chicago Tribune – (Illinois) Thousands still without power after storms hit Chicago region. Crews worked to restore power to 34,078 ComEd customers in the Chicago region after severe thunderstorms brought strong winds and heavy rain June 12. Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-storms-headed-toward-chicago-could-bring-hail-tornadoes-20130612,0,4200900,full.story
• An explosion and fire at an ethylene plant in Geismar, Louisiana, killed at least one person and injured 64 others. – WAFB 9 Baton Rouge (See item 3)
2. June 13, WAFB 9 Baton Rouge – (Louisiana) 64 injured, 1 dead in chemical plant explosion. An explosion and fire at an ethylene plant in Geismar killed at least one person and injured 64 others, and prompted authorities to issue a shelter-in-place notice for the surrounding area and shut down two State roads nearby. Source: http://www.wafb.com/story/22581898/report-six-burn-victims-hospitalized-after-chemical-plant-explosion
• Eight individuals in the U.S. and Ukraine were charged with allegedly running a cyber fraud operation that attempted to steal at least $15 million from U.S. banking customers. – Dark Reading See item 13 below in the Banking and Finance Sector
• Colorado’s Black Forest Fire destroyed at least 92 homes, damaged 5 more, and prompted evacuation and pre-evacuation orders for up to 9,500 people. – Associated Press
32. June 13, Associated Press – (Colorado; National) Colorado wildfire destroys 92 homes, forces thousands to flee. Colorado’s Black Forest Fire destroyed at least 92 homes, damaged 5 more, and prompted evacuation and pre-evacuation orders for up to 9,500 people. Firefighters continued to battle other fires in New Mexico, Oregon, and California as more evacuations orders were released and structures were destroyed. Source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/13/thousands-flee-colo-wildfire-2-homes-destroyed/
Banking and Finance Sector
9. June 13, Lisbon Morning Journal – (Ohio; Pennsylvania) Trucking executives guilty of bank fraud. The former CEO and CFO of Dart Trucking were found guilty in a $3.6 million check kiting scheme that involved checks written from accounts at Huntington Bank in Columbiana, Ohio. Source: http://www.morningjournalnews.com/page/content.detail/id/547476/Trucking-executives-guilty-of-bank-fraud.html
10. June 13, Huntington Patch – (New York) Man accused of skimming ATM. Suffolk County Police arrested a Romanian national on charges of installing a skimmer and pinhole camera at the Astoria Federal Savings bank in Huntington Station and stealing $9,700. He was previously arrested in March for skimming at an Astoria Federal Savings bank in Kings Park. Source: http://huntington.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/man-accused-of-skimming-atm_e9404e5e
11. June 12, Lake Minnetonka Patch – (Minnesota) Federal jury convicts Mound man of fraud in connection with Ponzi scheme. A hedge fund manager from Mound was convicted for his role in a $30 million Ponzi scheme run by Petters Company Inc. Source: http://lakeminnetonka.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/federal-jury-convicts-mound-man-of-fraud-in-connection-with-peters-ponzi-scheme
12. June 12, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission – (International) SEC announces more charges in massive kickback scheme to secure business of Venezuelan bank. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission charged the former head of Direct Access Partner’s Miami office for his alleged involvement in a $66 million kickback scheme involving Venezuelan bank Banco de Desarrollo Económico y Social de Venezuela. Source: https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2013/2013-109.htm
13. June 12, Dark Reading – (International) 8 charged in $15 million attempted cyber fraud targeting U.S. banking customers. A complaint filed by the U.S. Secret Service charged eight individuals in the U.S. and Ukraine with allegedly running a fraud operation that attempted to steal at least $15 million from U.S. banking customers that included hacking into financial institutions’ systems and making fraudulent purchases and ATM withdrawals. Source: http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/8-charged-in-15-million-attempted-cyber/240156577
14. June 12, Bloomberg News – (New York) Ex-broker pleads guilty to fraud conspiracy charge. A former LinkBrokers Derivatives Corp. broker pleaded guilty to misrepresenting the prices of securities bought and sold for clients, working with three alleged co-conspirators to illegally defraud customers of $18.7 million. Source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-06-12/ex-broker-chouchane-pleads-guilty-to-fraud-conspiracy-charge-1
Information Technology Sector
35. June 12, Softpedia – (International) Chinese bootkit Guntior abuses Windows Help Center. Researchers at Sophos analyzed a recent version of the Guntior bootkit’s dropper and found that it utilizes a legitimate Windows executable file from Windows Help Center. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Chinese-Bootkit-Guntior-Abuses-Windows-Help-Center-360472.shtml
36. June 12, Softpedia – (International) Open redirect vulnerability identified in Facebook. A researcher from illSecure.com revealed a low-risk open redirect vulnerability in Facebook. Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Open-Redirect-Vulnerability-Identified-in-Facebook-Video-360583.shtml
Nothing to report
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report Contact Information
About the reports - The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a daily [Monday through Friday] summary of open-source published information concerning significant critical infrastructure issues. The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is archived for ten days on the Department of Homeland Security Web site: http://www.dhs.gov/IPDailyReport
Content and Suggestions: Send mail to email@example.com or contact the DHS Daily Report Team at (703)387-2314
Subscribe to the Distribution List: Visit the DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report and follow instructions to Get e-mail updates when this information changes.
Removal from Distribution List: Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report physical infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact the National Infrastructure
Coordinating Center at email@example.com or (202) 282-9201.
To report cyber infrastructure incidents or to request information, please contact US-CERT at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their Web page at www.us-cert.go v.
Department of Homeland Security Disclaimer
The DHS Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report is a non-commercial publication intended to educate and inform personnel engaged in infrastructure protection. Further reproduction or redistribution is subject to original copyright restrictions. DHS provides no warranty of ownership of the copyright, or accuracy with respect to the original source material.